Monday 5 March 2012

Romany Creams.

I was talking to my children the other day about my childhood in South Africa and the subject turned to treats. Romany creams of course. Romany creams are  South African biscuits or cookies  made from cocoa and coconut and sandwiched together with melted chocolate. A melt in your mouth treat. Now my children have never really fancied dessicated coconut but I decide to satisfy my curiosity to have a go and make some myself and let the family try them out.

Well the end result was a BIG success - big on the size front I didn't realise how much they spread when the cook and also a big hit with the family who promptly devoured the plateful . If you want to have a go here's the recipe I used ( just remember to put teaspoon full drops on the baking sheets as they do spread out quite a bit.)


Homemade Romany Creams


1. Cream together 1/2 lb Butter and 1 cup Sugar .
2. Sift together 2 cups Flour, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Salt.
3. Add 1 1/2 cup dessicated Coconut to the dry ingredients.
4. Add to dry ingredients.
4. Dissolve 2 tablespoon Cocoa in 1/2 cup hot water.
5. Mix all together.
6. Drop teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350ºF.
7. Sandwich two back-to-back with melted chocolate when they have cooled.


No comments:

Post a Comment